FND stands for Functional Neurological Disorder, is can also be referred to as FMD or Functional Movement Disorder depending on a person's symptoms. It is an umbrella diognosis for and number of symptoms. FND affects each person uniquely, some people just have one or two symptoms, whereas others may expererice many symptoms.
FND is a problem with the brain's messaging system. Basically the hardware (body) works but the their is a malfunction with the software (brain).
Symptoms may include:
- Involuntary movements
- Mobility issues such as poor gait and balance
- Chronic pain
- Bladder and bowel problems
- Impaired cognitive function such as poor memory difficulty thinking and concentrating etc.
- Speech difficulties
- Vision changes
- Headaches and migraines
- Muscle weakness and/or spasms
- Sensory disturbances, such numbness and neuropathic pain e.g. pins and needles